Friday, August 21, 2026

Autobiographical

Remember the movie High Fidelity? I watched it again recently and have been thinking about a particular scene where Rob (John Cusack) is explaining to Dick (Todd Louiso) how he is re-organizing his vinyl record collection.

Dick: "Is this chronological?"

Rob: "No."

Dick: "It's not alphabetical."

Rob: "Nope."

Dick: "What..."

Rob: "Autobiographical."

I've been thinking about that ever since, and wondering if it might actually be possible. I have well over one thousand albums in my collection so it would be a major undertaking. I'm not sure it's a task I want to take on. But if I did, the piles of records might look something like this.

The First Records I Bought With My Own Money pile might include:

Blood Sweat and Tears - Child Is The Father To Man  


Donovan - Sunshine Superman  


Why Must I Be A Teenager In Love pile might include:

John Denver - Poems, Prayers and Promises


David Bowie - The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars


Praise The Lord pile might include:

Jesus Christ Superstar - Original Soundtrack


Jesus Sound Explosion - Recorded Live At Explo '72


Leaving Home pile might include:

Jackson Browne -Late For The Sky




Eagles - Desperado


Radio Days pile might include:

The Doors - Greatest Hits


KKLS - Compilation Album



Friends pile might include:

Neil Young and Crazy Horse - Barn


Dianna Krall and Tony Bennett - Love Is Here To Stay



Best Friends pile might include:

My Morning Jacket - The Waterfall


America - Live From the Hollywood Bowl




Former Friends pile might include:

She & Him - Classics


John Cougar Mellencamp - Scarecrow


I'm now realizing there are probably at least sixty more record piles I would have to make, then move back onto the shelves.  If I start now I might be finished by Thanksgiving. Thanksgiving of 2027. As Sweet Brown said in that viral 2012 local news interview, "Ain't nobody got time for that." 


Yeah. I agree with Sweet. So I'll stick with my current system. Alphabetical...Abba through Warren Zevon. And the one-thousand-three-hundred-eighty-three in between.


Roger O'Dea   8/21/2026













































                                                                                  



No comments:

Post a Comment