Friday, January 11, 2019

Busted By The Library Police



I got kicked out of the library in Spearfish today. Figuratively speaking, of course. But it was no less disappointing than if I was forcibly removed. Here's how it went down.

About a week ago I received a text from the Grace Balloch Memorial Library in Spearfish telling me that my library card would be expiring this month and I should stop in to renew it. I don’t live in Spearfish, but have been a bonafide card carrying member for many years by virtue of their policy to allow membership at no charge to persons who work in Spearfish and Lawrence County but don’t live in the city or county. That's my situation. It's not that I think it's better than the library in my home town of Belle Fourche, it's just way more convenient. I work until 6, but the Belle library closes at 6. I'm off at 5 on Saturdays but Saturday hours are only from 10 to 2. And they are closed Sundays. Spearfish is open until 7 pm and on Sunday. Works for me.
So…I went in today to renew my card. The librarian on duty punched my name into the computer, paused, then looked over the counter at me. She then looked down in a concerned, almost sad, sort of way, then back at me.
She said, "You live in Belle Fourche."
"Yes," I answered. "But I work in Spearfish."
She then proceeded to explain, in a rather apologetic manner, that the library board recently changed the policy to charge an annual fee to anyone wishing to obtain a library card but didn't live in the city or county, regardless of where they work. I asked the amount of the fee and was told $30. Not a lot of money, but more than what I had been paying. $30 more. I considered paying the fee, but couldn't bring myself to do it. Just doesn’t seem right…at any price. One of those "it's the principal" things.
I checked the minutes of the library board meeting where they made the decision on the fee and found out that they also at the same time revised the policy on meeting rooms. Apparently the meeting room was open to the public upon request and approval. Now it is only open for official city or library business. Seems a little heavy handed to me. Shouldn't they be encouraging people to use the library rather than finding ways to turn people away? And what terrible thing happened to cause the restrictions to be put into place? Or did the board members all of a sudden develop control issues and let their authority go to their head? Whatever the reason, I'm very disappointed. I'll probably end up paying the thirty bucks. Or….I have a friend with a library card who has already volunteered to bootleg any book I want from good old Grace Balloch. That might make us Library Pirates. Kind of has a nice ring to it. And I've always wanted to be a pirate.

Roger O'Dea      1/11/2019

2 comments:

  1. Roger -- How about using the EY Berry Library at the college? I know it is a bit more out of the way, but the advantages are it is free (I think to Belle residents as well as Spearfish), it has much longer hours and a much larger selection. Anyway, just a suggestion.

    ReplyDelete